Settlement of the area began in the mid 1840's as Eastern pioneers displaced the native Caddo Indians and developed a farming community. Farming and ranching are still the main industry. In 1873, the Texas and Pacific Railroad from Dallas to Shreveport passed through the area, but only a switch existed until 1878, when, as a result of the famous County Seat War, Canton needed a new shipping point. Consequently, the Star Trail, presently FM 859, was blazed from the county seat to Stephens Switch and the City of Edgewood was founded.
Presently, Edgewood is a good place to call home to numerous commuters and retirees.
The Edgewood Heritage Park of East Texas was founded in 1976 as a bi-centennial ongoing project that is owned and operated by the Edgewood Historical Society. This outdoor museum encompasses authentically restored and furnished structures representing rural life in East Texas circa 1900 and is situated on 17 lots in the center of Edgewood.
The mission of The Edgewood Heritage Park Museum of East Texas is to collect, preserve and teach the rural culture of East Texas. Located on several blocks in downtown Edgewood, the park uses its preserved historic buildings to ensure present and future generations an opportunity to study and celebrate their heritage through the authentic architectural exhibits. The park as a whole is the destination of tourists in search of an historical attraction void of the hustle and bustle associated with the metropolitan areas.
One of the historical sites is used by the Conference for discussion meetings. Church in the Wildwood is considered the jewel of The Heritage Park Museum of East Texas as it represents Edgewood's religious heritage spanning more than 100 years. It is still used for various life celebrations, weddings being the most popular.
For those interested in more information about Edgewood and the Edgewood Heritage Festival, here are additional links: